Monday, December 12, 2011

Cocadas


 As I mentioned on my last post, for my niece's birthday party we had the kids decorate their own cocadas.

Cocadas are balls made out of different ingredients, often covered with coconut shavings (hence the name "cocadas").

You need a dry ingredient as a base, a sticky ingredient, a fruit and toppings to cover it.

For my niece's birthday we made vanilla cookies, manjar (dulce de leche) and a smashed banana. Mix it all together to form a dough and roll it into balls.

The kids chose the toppings, in this case chocolate and rainbow sprinkles and royal icing.


My favourite recipe however is oatmeal, condensed milk and smashed strawberries for the mix, covered with powdered sugar.

You can try many combinations. My boyfriend once made manjar, oatmeal and kiwi cocadas. They were a hit!


For a birthday activity you can also let the kids make their own ball and cover it with chocolate (this is what my 11 year old brother did with his cocadas).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment